You are here
FACTS AND FIGURES
Swiss Confederation, Switzerland
|NATIONAL DAY:||August 1, 1291 (Founding of Swiss Confederation)||LAND AREA:||41,277 sq. km.|
|LOCATION:||Central Europe, east of France, North of Italy|
|TERRAIN:||mostly mountains (Alps in south, Jura in northeast) with central plateau of rolling hills|
|CLIMATE:||temperate, but varies with altitude: cold, cloudy, rainy/snowy winters: cool to warm, cloudy, humid summers with occational showers|
|NATURAL HAZARDS:||avalanches, landslides, flash floods|
|POPULATION:||7,604,467 (July 2009 est.)|
|PEOPLE:||German 65%, French 18%, Italian 10%, Romansch 1%, Other 6%|
|LANGUAGES:||German 63.7%, French 20.4%, Italian 6.5%, Romansch 0.5%, Others 8.9%|
|RELIGION:||Roman Catholic 41.8%, Protestant 35.3%, Muslim 4.3%, Orthodox 1.8%, None 11.1%, Other 5.7%|
|WORKING WEEK:||Monday to Saturday|
|CURRENCY:||Swiss Francs (CHF) (1 CHF = 42.43 PHP)|
|CODE:||COUNTRY DIALING = +41||INTERNET = .ch|
|TIME DIFFERENCE:||UTC +1 (Manila is seven (7) hours ahead of Switzerland time)|
|1. Aargua||14. Nidw Alden|
|2. Appenzell Ausser-Rhoden||15. Obw Alden|
|3. Appenzell Inner-Rhoden||16. Sankt Gallen|
|4. Basel-Landschaff||17. Schaffhausen|
|5. Basel-Stadt||18. Schywz|
|6. Bern||19. Solothurn|
|7. Fribourg||20. Thurgau|
|8. Geneve||21. Ticino|
|9. Glarus||22. Uri|
|10. Graubunden||23. Valais|
|11. Jura||24. Vaud|
|12. Luzern||25. Zug|
|13. Neuchatel||26. Zurich|
ABOUT AU PAIRS
* Au Pair is a French term meaning "on par" or "equal to". It denotes living on an equal basis in a reciprocal, caring relationship between the host family and the children.
* An au pair is typically a young Filipino placed under a cultural exchange arrangement with a host family for immersion in cultural and language training for a maximum of two (2) years.
* Host family refers to the family the au pair will be living with for the duration of the au pair contract.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE AU PAIR
1. Share in the usual household chores along with other members of the family such as: child care, light household chores, and other responsibilities agreed upon in the au pair contract.
2. Shall take part in the family life.
3. Shall learn the culture, customs and language of the country. Attend school to learn the host country's language.
4. Carry out chores 3 to 5 hours daily (18 to 30 hours per week).
5. May NOT carry out paid or unpaid work outside of the host family's home.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE HOST FAMILY
1. Treat the au pair in just and humane manner.
2. Provide food and accommodations to the au pair (separate bedroom).
3. Provide health and accident insurance.
4. Provide monthly allowance.
5. Pay for school fees.
6. Shoulder all travel costs related to sponsoring the Filipino au pair: transportation, visa, POEA processing fee, OWWA membership fee, cost of training (if required by employer).
7. Not deduct any amount from regular pocket money of the au pair except compulsory contributions allowed by law.
8. Provide the au pair a copy of the contract.